This is quite an unusual combination with a roast beef but in my mind it is a really great and tasty summer lunch option for those long lazy Sundays.
Ingredients Add to Shopping List
Serves: 4 people
Add all ingredients Select All
3 cloves Garlic
1 - Red Onion
1 - Red Pepper
440 g SuperValu Chopped Tomatoes
1 - SuperValu Courgette
2 sprigs SuperValu Fresh Thyme
0 - SuperValu Mediterranean Mix
5 large SuperValu Potatoes
800 g SuperValu Quality Irish Round Roast
(From the Butcher Counter)
- Preheat the oven to 150°C/300°F/Gas Mark 2
- Heat a large deep pan with a little oil and when the pan is quite hot seal the beef all the way round until all of the beef is browned all over.
- Remove the beef from the pan and place into a large deep casserole dish and season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile add the garlic and onion into the pan and cook quickly for 3-4 minutes until they have glazed lightly.
- Next add in the red pepper and courgette and then pour in the chopped tomatoes and beef stock and allow the mixture to come to the boil and then simmer for 4-5 minutes.
- Season the mixture lightly with some salt, pepper and sugar at this stage.
- Pour this mixture on top of the beef.
- Add in the thyme sprig at this stage also.
- Cover the casserole dish with a tightly fitting lid and transfer to the oven.
- Cook for approximately 4 and 1/2 hours or until the beef is tender.
Crunchy Roast Potatoes
- Peel the potatoes and cut into small chunks. Place them in a large bowl with the thyme.
- Season lightly with a little salt and pepper, drizzle with the olive oil and mix well until combined.
- Place the potatoes onto a flat baking tray lined with a little parchment and bake in the oven with the beef for the final 40-45 minutes of the cooking time.
- Serve immediately.